Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Nevada?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Nevada?

Advertising Disclosure


What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Nevada?

Starting a business in Nevada will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies. Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in Nevada.

Before applying for any licenses, the legal structure of the business will need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Learn more about forming an LLC in Nevada

Also see: Steps to starting a business in Nevada

State Business License

State law requires that every person or entity doing business in the state of Nevada obtain a State of Nevada Business License from the Secretary of State. The Nevada state business license fee is $200 and is renewable annually.

Local Business Licenses

In addition to the state business license, there may be city and county licenses as well. Rules for business registration vary depending on location and what the business does. Below are a few cities that have licensing requirements. See the full list of all local business licenses in Nevada.

Las Vegas – All businesses operating in Las Vegas will need to obtain a business license. In addition, some types of businesses will need additional permits, such as daycares, restaurants, contractors, and more.

Henderson – The City of Henderson requires all businesses to have a business license. Some businesses such as locksmiths, massage establishments, pawnbrokers, and others have additional requirements.

Reno – Businesses operating in Reno will need to obtain a business license from the Reno Community Development Department’s Business First Program. In order to get a license several items will need to be obtained before starting:

    • Zoning approval through the City Planning Department and Fire Department
    • Permit from the Department of Building & Safety
    • Food service operations obtaining approval through the Washoe County Health District
    • Police Department and City Council approval for businesses that conduct privileged business activities such as second-hand sales, businesses selling alcohol, locksmiths, and others.

Sparks – Businesses operating in the city limits will need to obtain a City of Sparks business license.

Carson City – The Business License Division of Carson City issues business licenses for all business activity within city limits

Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile and LegalZoom.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 

Building & Zoning Permits

Zoning – Depending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on city ordinances, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building PermitA building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (also referred to as a FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent for a Social Security Number for an individual. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. Sole Proprietorships without employees can use the owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN

Nevada Business Identification Number

 Anybody engaging in business selling physical products and some services or hiring employees will need to apply for a Business Identification Number through the State’s business registration portal SilverFlume

Seller’s Permit

In Nevada, businesses selling taxable products or services will need to register for a Seller’s Permit with the Nevada Department of Taxation.

Resale Certificate

After applying for the sales tax permit and receiving a Seller’s Permit Number, businesses are able to purchase inventory for resale and not pay sales tax as they will charge the final customer. In order to not pay sales tax, the business will need to fill out a Nevada Resale Certificate.

Occupational Permits

A variety of professions in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services. A few common professions that require permitting in Nevada include; contractors, child care, cosmetologists, and many more.

Businesses involved with vehicles such as body shops, dealers, manufacturers, rebuilders, tow trucks, and more will need to register with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles.

Fictitious Firm Name Registration

While not a business license, it’s common for Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a business name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) to register for a Fictitious Firm Name (also known as a Doing Business As or DBA) with the County Clerk’s Office in the county where the business is located.

These are some of the most common business licenses, but there are far too many licenses and permits for us to keep track of. Before starting your business, be sure to check with City Hall, County Clerk’s Office, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.


  • Greg Bouhl

    With over two decades as an entrepreneur, educator, and business advisor, Greg Bouhl has worked with over 2,000 entrepreneurs to help them start and grow their businesses. Fed up with clients finding and acting on inaccurate and outdated information online, Greg launched StartUp101.com to be a trusted resource for people starting a business.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Nevada?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Nevada?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Some (but not all) of the links on StartUp101.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartUp101.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.