Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Licenses Does A Vacation rental business Need?

What Licenses Does A Vacation rental business Need?

Advertising Disclosure


What Licenses Does A Vacation rental business Need?

\Starting a successful vacation rental business takes more than having a beautiful property. One important aspect of successfully starting a business is researching and applying for the licenses and permits that are needed to operate legally.

The question, “what business license do I need to start my business” is a common one, but in reality, a business will often need multiple licenses, permits, and registrations from federal, state, and local agencies.

Related: Guide to starting a vacation rental business

While we have researched what licenses and permits your business may need, please be aware that there is no way for us to have uncovered every state and local requirement.

To not miss any important licenses and permits, we recommend also checking with your local Chamber of Commerce, economic development agency, or use a business license service like Incfile or LegalZoom.

What Licenses Do You Need to Start a Vacation Rental Business?

State Licensing

Currently, Florida is the only state the requires licensing for vacation rentals. The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) has more information regarding the licensing required to own a vacation rental in Florida.

Local Licensing

Licensing is very common (and is increasing) for a vacation rental business at the city and county level as laws regulate how a home can be used. These regulations are typically found through covenants, zoning, and/or local ordinances.

In many cities, you must register and obtain a license before accepting guests to your property. Here are a few examples of those that do:

In Austin, Texas, owners of short-term rentals (properties rented for less than 30 consecutive days) are required to obtain an operating license through the City of Austin’s Code Department.

In Denver, Colorado, for properties that are rented for up to 29 days, a short-term rental license is required. Properties that are rented for 30 days at a time, a license isn’t required.

An Airbnb Permit and Business License is required by the city of Huntsville. Alabama, to operate a vacation rental.

Landlord-Tenant Laws

Every location is different, however, it’s worth noting that depending on the length of stay, your guest may be entitled to certain rights as a tenant. This may make it difficult to evict your guest should they decide to stay. It’s highly recommended to work with an attorney to ensure these issues don’t arise.

In addition to any vacation rental specific licensing, there will also likely be general licensing requirements for starting a business as well.  Here are a few of the common licenses and permits that a vacation rental business may need:

General Business License or Permit

Depending on where the business is located, a general business license or permit may be required. A few states require a business license; however, they are more commonly found at the city level.

Learn more: Business license requirements by state

Business Name Registration

While not necessarily a business license, it’s worth noting that to use a name for a business, many states require the registration of that name. Making matters more complicated, the process of name registration is different by state and the type of business entity.

For instance, sole proprietorships and partnerships generally need to register a business name (also referred to as a Doing Business As, DBA, fictitious name, or assumed name).

Learn: How to register a DBA

Corporations and LLCs register are a little easier in that their name is registered when forming the entity.

Related: What is the difference between a sole proprietorship, partnership, Corporation, or LLC?

Federal Employer Identification Number

The Federal Employer Identification Number (also referred to as a FEIN, Employer Identification Number, EIN, or Federal Tax ID Number) is a unique nine-digit number that identifies a business with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Any business with employees or those that form as a partnership, Corporation, and in many cases an LLC, the business will need to get an EIN.

Sole proprietors and single-owner LLCs without employees can instead use the owner’s social security number.

Learn: How to get an EIN 

Sales Tax Permit or Business Tax Number

A sales tax is collected from overnight stays (sometimes referred to as a tourism tax) and remitted to the state’s Department of Revenue (or similarly named taxation agency). In order to legally operate and collect this tax, a state sales tax permit (business tax number or tax ID number) may be needed.  This permit creates an account number with the state’s Department of Revenue or a similarly named state taxing agency.

Learn: How to get a sales tax permit


What Licenses Does A Vacation rental business Need?

What Licenses Does A Vacation rental business Need?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Some (but not all) of the links on StartUp101.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartUp101.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.