Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Licenses Does An Escape Room Business Need?

What Licenses Does An Escape Room Business Need?

Advertising Disclosure


What Licenses Does An Escape Room Business Need?

Maybe you’re opening an escape room business because you’re a fan of puzzles. Perhaps you’re opening an escape room business because you’ve done the research and identified a great opportunity in your community. Or maybe owning your own escape room business has been a dream for many years. However you got here, it’s time to get your paperwork in order, which means researching the licenses and permits needed to open a gym.

Here we’ll break down the different types of permits and licenses you may need, along with sharing some resources to help get you started.

Let’s get started and see which licenses to consider when starting an escape room business.

Related: Guide to starting an escape room business

While we have researched what licenses and permits your business may need, please be aware that there is no way for us to have uncovered every state and local requirement.

To not miss any important licenses and permits, we recommend also checking with your local Chamber of Commerce, economic development agency, or use a business license service like Incfile or LegalZoom.

What Licenses Do You Need to Start an Escape Room business?

Business Entity

One of the first registrations to complete when starting an escape room business is selecting a business entity (also referred to as a business structure or legal entity). A business entity refers to how a business is organized to operate. It should be at the top of your list because the other licenses your business will need will require the business’s legal name, which can’t be registered until the business entity is formed.

The four main types include the sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: What is the difference between a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or LLC?

Business Name Registration

While not necessarily a business license, it’s worth noting that to use a name for a business, many states require the registration of that name. Making matters more complicated, the process of name registration is different by state and the type of business entity.

For instance, sole proprietorships and partnerships generally need to register a business name (also referred to as a Doing Business As, DBA, fictitious name, or assumed name).

Learn: How to register a DBA

Corporations and LLCs register the business name when the entity is formed with the state.

General Business License or Permit

Depending on where the business is located, a general business license or permit may be required. A few states require a business license; however, they are more commonly found at the city level.

Learn more: Business license requirements by state

Federal Employer Identification Number

The Federal Employer Identification Number (also referred to as a FEIN, Employer Identification Number, EIN, or Federal Tax ID Number) is a unique nine-digit number that identifies a business with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Any business with employees or those that form as a partnership, corporation, and in many cases an LLC, the business will need to get an EIN.

Sole proprietors and single-owner LLCs without employees can instead use the owner’s social security number.

Learn: How to get an EIN 

Sales Tax Permit or Business Number

In order to sell products and/or offer certain services, a state sales tax permit (also referred to as a business tax number or tax ID number) may be needed. This permit creates an account number with the state’s Department of Revenue (or similarly named state taxing agency) to collect and remit sales tax.

Learn: How to get a sales tax permit in each state

Signage Permit

In many cities, there are regulations for the size and placement of signage. Some communities are much more restrictive than others on signage. Before choosing a location, be sure to check with city administrators to know the rules regarding signage.

Certificate of Occupancy

In most communities, an escape room business will likely need to secure a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) before operating in a commercial building. This certificate is typically obtained from the city and/or the county.

Before the certificate is issued, the building must comply with local zoning restrictions, building codes, local zoning restrictions, building codes, and any other local requirements. Before obtaining clearance to operate, the fire department will typically need to escape the building to ensure all fire code regulations are being met.

Before signing a contract to purchase or rent a venue for your escape room business, be sure to check with the local zoning department first to ensure the business can legally operate out of the chosen location.

Music License

If you plan to play music in the building, a Public Performance License (PPL) is needed. A blanket license can be obtained through the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP), Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI), and the Society of European Stage Authors and Composers (SESAC).

Fines from playing unlicensed music can be pretty high, so be sure to get the licensing before playing in your space.

While researching licenses and permits isn’t the most exciting thing when starting an escape room business, spending the time upfront on getting it right the first time is critical. Not getting the proper licensing can result in fines and even temporarily closing the business, so be sure to talk with city officials to ensure the correct licenses have been obtained.

These are some of the most common business licenses, but there may be specific licensing that isn't listed. Before starting your business, be sure to check with the City Clerk, County Clerk, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

For some additional peace of mind, companies like Incfile or Legalzoom can do the research and ensure you have all of the proper federal, state, and local licenses to start your business.

What Licenses Does An Escape Room Business Need?

What Licenses Does An Escape Room Business Need?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Some (but not all) of the links on StartUp101.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartUp101.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.