Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Licenses Does A Photobooth Need?

What Licenses Does A Photobooth Need?

Advertising Disclosure


What Licenses Does A Photobooth Need?

Starting a successful photobooth business takes more than knowing how to provide a fun and memorable business. Starting a new business requires completing several steps, and obtaining licensing is an important one as it may impact your ability to operate legally.

The question, “what business license do I need to start my photobooth business” is a common one, but in reality, your business will likely need multiple licenses, permits, and registrations from federal, state, and local agencies.

Let’s look at which licenses to consider when starting a photobooth business.

Related: Guide to starting a photobooth business


While we have researched what licenses and permits your business may need, please be aware that there is no way for us to have uncovered every state and local requirement.

To not miss any important licenses and permits, we recommend also checking with your local Chamber of Commerce, economic development agency, or use a business license service like Incfile or LegalZoom.

What Licenses Do You Need to Start a Photobooth Business?

While there aren’t licenses specifically for a photobooth business, there are still a few general licensing requirements for starting a business at the federal, state, and local level.   Here are a few of the common licenses and permits that a photobooth business may need:

Entity Formation

When starting a business, the legal entity needs to be selected. A legal entity refers to how a business is organized in order to operate. There are four main types of entities; sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).
Each type of entity has its own pros and cons, such as liability protection, costs, and administrative requirements.

Related: What is the difference between a sole proprietorship, partnership, Corporation, or LLC?

Business Name Registration

While not necessarily a business license, it’s worth noting that to use a name for a business, many states require the registration of that name. Making matters more complicated, the process of name registration is different by state and the type of business entity.

For instance, sole proprietorships and partnerships generally need to register a business name (also referred to as a Doing Business As, DBA, fictitious name, or assumed name).

Learn: How to register a DBA

Corporations and LLCs register are a little easier because the name is registered when the entity is formed with the state.

General Business License or Permit

Depending on where the business is located, a general business license or permit may be required. A few states require a business license; however, they are more commonly found at the city level.

Learn more: Business license requirements by state

Federal Employer Identification Number

The Federal Employer Identification Number (also referred to as a FEIN, Employer Identification Number, EIN, or Federal Tax ID Number) is a unique nine-digit number that identifies a business with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This number isn’t commonly needed for a photobooth business, however, some will.

Any business with employees or those that form as a partnership, Corporation, and in many cases an LLC, the business will need to get an EIN.

Sole proprietors and single-owner LLCs without employees can instead use the owner’s social security number.

Learn: How to get an EIN 

Sales Tax Permit or Business Number

Perhaps the most confusing registrations to research is whether a sales tax permit (also referred to as a business tax number or tax ID number) is necessary. To sell services in some states, which most of what a photobooth business provides is a service, a state sales tax permit may be needed.  More commonly, a sales tax permit will be needed for a photobooth business that delivers a physical product like printed photos to the customer.

This permit creates an account number with the state’s Department of Revenue (or similarly named state taxing agency) to collect and remit sales tax.

Learn: How to get a sales tax permit in each state

Certificate of Occupancy

Since photobooth businesses set up and operate on-site, they are typically operated as a home-based business. In some cities and towns, a home occupation permit is still required to operate.

If the business has larger ambitions and plans to operate in a commercial building, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) may be required.  This certificate is typically obtained from the city and/or the county and allows a business to occupy and operate from a building. Before the certificate is issued, the building will need to comply with zoning regulations, building codes, and any other local requirements.

Before purchasing or leasing a location for your photobooth business, be sure to check with the local zoning department first to ensure the business can legally operate out of the chosen location.


The process of identifying all of the licenses and permits necessary to start a photobooth business may feel confusing and overwhelming. It is critical to do this right the first time, otherwise, your business may be shut down after opening until all licenses are obtained.

These are some of the most common business licenses, but there may be specific licensing that isn't listed. Before starting your business, be sure to check with the City Clerk, County Clerk, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

For some additional peace of mind, companies like Incfile or Legalzoom can do the research and ensure you have all of the proper federal, state, and local licenses to start your business.

What Licenses Does A Photobooth Need?

What Licenses Does A Photobooth Need?

4 Responses

    1. The NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) regulates business licenses and you will want to get in contact with them to verify, but depending on when the photobooth would be open you may either need a Temporary Street Fair Vendor Permit – https://www.nyc.gov/nycbusiness/description/temporary-street-fair-vendor-permit or a General Vendor License – https://www.nyc.gov/nycbusiness/description/general-vendor-license.

      The city has a super helpful online wizard to walk you through the various requirements – https://www.nyc.gov/nycbusiness/wizard

      I also have a guide on general licensing requirements in New York that may be helpful as well – https://startup101.com/what-business-licenses-permits-are-needed-in-new-york/

  1. Hello, I am looking into Photo Booth Business traveling throughout several counties, what license will I require if I reside in LA County?

    1. Hi Mir

      There are some general California things to look at, which we have some here – https://startup101.com/california-business-licenses-permits/. Some of these, like the EIN will vary depending the business structure that you choose or if you have employees.

      For LA County specific info, if your business is considered to have an impact on the health, welfare or safety of the public, you will need to get a County Business License – https://ttc.lacounty.gov/business-license-general-information/

      Within city limits, you will need to complete a New Business Registration and obtain a Business Tax Registration Certificate with the Office of Financ – https://finance.lacity.org/business-registration-process.

      Hope this is a good start. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Some (but not all) of the links on StartUp101.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartUp101.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.